Last updated on October 29th, 2023 at 09:40 am
Commando, originally released as Senjō no Ōkami (戦場の狼 lit. “Wolf of the Battlefield”?) is a classic arcade-style game that was released for the Commodore 64 in 1985.
The game is often said to be very challenging, but it is also very addictive. The game is set in a war-torn jungle, and the player takes on the role of a commando who must fight his way through enemy lines to complete his mission.
The game features nice backdrops, but the sprites can be flickery and the game slows down when it gets congested.
The music is excellent throughout, which adds to the overall experience. Graphically, the game looks very nice, with lots of color and smooth scrolling. The Halloween theme is also a nice touch.
The game is not without its flaws, however. Some of the sprites seem prone to epileptic attacks, and on occasions, they can be difficult to see.
The game is also quite difficult, which can be frustrating for some players.
Overall, Commando is a fun and challenging game that is worth playing for anyone who enjoys classic arcade-style games.
The game has its flaws, but it is still a great game that is sure to provide hours of entertainment.
Game is otherwise the same (almost, there are a few surprises here and there).
- Completely new graphics everywhere
- 5 new levels added. Game now has total of 8 levels like arcade
- New Barracks, Hangar, Chopper, Level transition, etc. graphics
- New Level features
- New glitch-free Sprite multiplexer
- New Scroller
- Chopper that drops you onto the battle field and picks you up
- Level Transition screen animations
- Score, Lives and Bomb counter fixes
- Code bug fixes – no more crashes
- High Scores in attract mode
- Game Over sequence added
- Two new Sound modes with new SFX and new tunes by 6R6
- Loading screen (by STE’86) and Loading tune (by 6R6) added
- Pause added with Quit option
- Easyflash version with High Score saver to flash and backup to disk
- Universal File version that should work on any device
- IFFL version with REU support
- PAL and NTSC supported
Remember … press SPACE to select new Sound modes. You can long press FIRE to fire grenades. Check the Summary and Docs for more info …
A note to different versions:
FL (FileLoader) version should work on all devices. It still has a custom loader for 1541, 1571, 1581, etc. most common devices though. It will work nicely on SD2IEC, IEC2ATA, IDE64, etc. and will use your speeder of choice (JiffyDos, Dolphin,…)
IFFL version will work on the most usual devices as all IFFL loaders do. It will be much faster on those devices too compared to the FL version. It is also the only version that supports REU (256kb required, whole game will be loaded to memory!)
EasyFlash version doesn’t need much info. It will save highscores to cartridge of course and those highscores are compatible with FL version too!
This is a remake of classic ZX-Spectrum shoot-em-up arcade game Commando for “General Sound” soundcard produced in ex-USSR for ZX-Spectrum clones.
You can play it with Unreal 3.73 emulator. You can also try Spectaculator, but its support for General Sound may be bugged.
-27 sound effects
-2 exclusive 4-channel amiga modules
Cooler/Triumph – music
moroz1999 – GS support code, sound editing, final cut code/graphics converting, 3dsmax :)
Nowadays the only hardware supporting this software is NeoGS soundcard:
Order one for your ZX, it’s worth it!