Last updated on September 16th, 2023 at 02:57 pm
Hack Attack, a game for the Commodore 64, dealing with the topic secret networks on Earth.
In the game Hack Attack, you will assume the role of a secret organization aiming to gain control over the entire network on Earth by hijacking one secret service network after another.
The objective is to either take over the entire network or, in 2-player mode, seize your opponent’s home network.
- Mode: Choose between Solo (playing against time), Duel (2-player mode), or playing against the computer at different difficulty levels
- Start Setting: Select either Standard (fixed income and resources) or Random (randomized income and resources) at the beginning of the game
- Domination: Decide whether the game should end when a player owns ¾ of all networks or only when a player destroys the opponent’s home network
- Events: Choose the frequency and impact of in-game events, ranging from no events to events with various effects on gameplay
- GameTime: Set the game time from 1000 Ticks (approximately 15 minutes) to 8000 Ticks (around 2 hours), with rumors of a time machine potentially affecting the game’s duration
After configuring the options and starting the game, you will be taken to the main screen.
The game is set in a fictional world of internet secret services, with no political or ideological influences.
The 16 networks in the game were chosen based on the publicity of real secret services and the need for a balanced distribution worldwide.
The limitation to 16 networks was due to software and mathematical constraints.
The Game and the Real World
Hack Attack’s design is not influenced by any political or ideological stance. The choice of networks was based on their real-world publicity and the need for a balanced distribution. The game’s restriction to 16 networks was a result of technical and mathematical considerations.