Last updated on September 9th, 2023 at 07:30 am
The Black Onyx (ザ・ブラックオニキス Za Burakku Onikisu) is a NEC PC-8801 Videogame released in 1984 as japanese role-playing by Bullet-Proof Software, one of the first successful Japanese-language RPGs that helped familiarize the Japanese public with RPGs.
The Black Onyx is a traditional role-playing game made by a Japanese company. Here are some curiosities about the game:
- The game is similar in gameplay to early Wizardry.
- The game was released in 1984.
- During character creation, instead of selecting race and class, the player chooses from among a ridiculous number of hairstyles.
- A surgeon heals wounds cheaply at $2 per hit point, and an examination room reveals players’ stats for $14 per character, which include level, HP, etc.
- The game has no connection to the gemstone onyx, despite the title.
The Black Onyx is an artifact that grants eternal youth to those who owns it, it is in a Black Tower near the town of Utsuro.
The player creates a a team with a maximum of five members and explores a maze-3D dungeon, fighting enemies on the way. The heroes also meet adventurers who can be convinced to join the party. The combat engine is turn-based.