Commando, originally released as Senjō no Ōkami (戦場の狼 lit. “Wolf of the Battlefield”?), is a run and gun, vertically scrolling shoot ’em up arcade game released in 1985. Its influence can be seen in various later games in the genre, including Gun.Smoke, Who Dares Wins, Ikari Warriors, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Jackal, Heavy Barrel, Trax, and others.
It was released for several platforms, including the Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, MSX, ZX Spectrum, Intellivision, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Amiga, Nintendo Entertainment System, Acorn Electron, BBC Micro and PC. Versions of the game also appear on Capcom Classics Collection for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PlayStation Portable, Activision Anthology for the PlayStation 2, and on the Wii Virtual Console Arcade. It was also featured on Capcom Arcade Cabinet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
Game is otherwise the same (almost, there are a few surprises here and there).
* Completely new graphics everywhere
* 5 new levels added. Game now has total of 8 levels like arcade
* New Barracks, Hangar, Chopper, Level transition, etc. graphics
* New Level features
* New glitch-free Sprite multiplexer
* New Scroller
* Chopper that drops you onto the battle field and picks you up
* Level Transition screen animations
* Score, Lives and Bomb counter fixes
* Code bug fixes – no more crashes
* High Scores in attract mode
* Game Over sequence added
* Two new Sound modes with new SFX and new tunes by 6R6
* Loading screen (by STE’86) and Loading tune (by 6R6) added
* Pause added with Quit option
* Easyflash version with High Score saver to flash and backup to disk
* Universal File version that should work on any device
* IFFL version with REU support
* PAL and NTSC supported
Remember … press SPACE to select new Sound modes. You can long press FIRE to fire grenades. Check the Summary and Docs for more info …
A note to different versions:
FL (FileLoader) version should work on all devices. It still has a custom loader for 1541, 1571, 1581, etc. most common devices though. It will work nicely on SD2IEC, IEC2ATA, IDE64, etc. and will use your speeder of choice (JiffyDos, Dolphin,…)
IFFL version will work on the most usual devices as all IFFL loaders do. It will be much faster on those devices too compared to the FL version. It is also the only version that supports REU (256kb required, whole game will be loaded to memory!)
EasyFlash version doesn’t need much info. It will save highscores to cartridge of course and those highscores are compatible with FL version too!
>This is a remake of classic ZX-Spectrum shoot-em-up arcade game Commando for “General Sound” soundcard produced in ex-USSR for ZX-Spectrum clones.
You can play it with Unreal 3.73 emulator. You can also try Spectaculator, but its support for General Sound may be bugged.
-27 sound effects
-2 exclusive 4-channel amiga modules
Cooler/Triumph – music
moroz1999 – GS support code, sound editing, final cut code/graphics converting, 3dsmax :)
Nowadays the only hardware supporting this software is NeoGS soundcard:
Order one for your ZX, it’s worth it!
>C64 VERSION DOWNLOAD :